Social structure is a basic concept in sociology. Since long several efforts have been made to define ‘social structure’ but still there is no unanimity of opinion on its definition.According to S.F.Nadel Social structure refers to the network of social relationship which is created among the human being when they interact with each other according to their status and according with the patterns of society.
According to Talcott Parsons :-
Social Structure is a term applied to the particular arrangement of the interrelated institutions agencies and social patterns as well as the status and roles which each person a assumes in the groups.
(1) Social structures is a abstract phenomenon
(2) It refers to the external aspects of society
(3) Individual is the unit of social association, social institutions and these social association and institutions are part of social structure.
(4) These institutions and associations are inter related and created the pattern of social structure.
(5) Social structure is a patternised arrangement of human relationship structures